Family Immigration

Serving Clients in the Merrimack Valley, the Boston Area and Throughout the United States

There are many different options for people who wish to obtain a United States visa. The Haverhill law office of Chester J. Winkowski, Attorney at Law, offers experienced legal advice and representation to clients in Massachusetts and throughout the United States. We help clients understand their options and assist them throughout the visa application process. For skilled assistance, contact immigration lawyer Chester Winkowski today.

Family-Based Immigrant Visas (Green Cards) and Nonimmigrant Visa Petitions

When coming to the United States, foreign nationals must obtain either an immigrant visa or a nonimmigrant visa.

  • Family-based immigrant visas: An immigrant visa (also known as a green card) allows a foreign national to become a legal permanent resident of the United States. It is the first step toward citizenship.
  • Family-based nonimmigrant visas: A nonimmigrant visa allows foreign nationals to come to the United States temporarily, for example as a visitor or student. These visa applications are often easier to obtain than immigrant visas. However, there are restrictions on length of stay and ability to work while in the United States.

Our Boston area law firm is skilled at handling permanent residence applications and visitor visa applications for family members who are living outside of the United States as well as family members who are currently living illegally in the United States.

Petitioning for a Family-Based Immigrant Visa

Individuals with U.S. nationality or citizenship or individuals with legal permanent residency (LPR) status may petition to allow their family members to come to the United States. In some cases, immigrant visas will be available immediately. In other cases, applicants will need to wait for a visa to become available. We will find the best and fastest approach.

The following may be eligible for family-based immigration status:

  • Spouse of a U.S. citizen (immediate relative)
  • Parent of a U.S. citizen (immediate relative)
  • Unmarried minor child of a U.S. citizen (immediate relative)
  • Unmarried adult children of a U.S. citizen (first preference)
  • Married children of a U.S. citizen (third preference)
  • Spouse and children of a legal permanent resident (second preference)
  • Sibling of a U.S. citizen (fourth preference)
  • Fiancé of a U.S. citizen (K-1 fiancé visa or K-3 spouse visa)

Government Experience in Immigration Law

Attorney Chester Winkowski has former experience as an attorney with the Immigration Services’ New York office. As such, he has thorough knowledge of the changing laws and regulations and how to best serve our clients.

In addition to providing skilled guidance in family-based visa applications, we assist clients with other family immigration issues, such as deportation defense, applications for removal of conditions, advance parole/permission to travel and document replacement. Our firm also handles permanent visa petitions for battered spouses/battered women.

Contact our family immigration law attorney to discuss your legal needs.